Skip to main content
Get your Wikispaces Classroom now:
the easiest way to manage your class.
Pages and Files
Final Exam Review
What Happened to Phineas Gage?
WOW - Phineas Gage
Add "All Pages"
Nervous System Worksheet #1
1. The diagram below is of a nerve cell or neuron.
Save the nerve diagram below into your file folder. Open Paint, then open your saved diagram file into Paint. Spray paint the following colors into your Paint diagram or on the lines as follows:
– red. Indicate the direction that the nerve impulse travels. Add the following labels to your Paint diagram.
Axon; Myelin sheath; Cell body; Dendrites; Nucleus; Synaptic Terminals; Muscle fibers
2. There are three different kinds of neurons or nerve cells depending on the direction they send their signals and where they are located. Match each kind with its function.
A. Motor neuron; B. Sensory neuron; C. Relay neuron;
Kind of neuron
The nerve cell that carries impulses from a sense receptor
to the brain or spinal cord.
The nerve cell that connects sensory and motor neurons
The nerve cell that transmits impulses from the brain
or spinal cord to a muscle or gland
3. Match the descriptions in the table below with the terms in the list.
A. Synapse; B. Axon; C. Myelin sheath; D. Nerve impulse; E. Sensory receptor; F. Response;
G.Reflex; H. Cell body; I. Dendrite; J. Nerve; K. Neurotransmitter; L. Axon terminal
1. The long fiber that carries the nerve impulses.
2. A long cell that receives, carries, and transmits nerve impulses.
3. The connection between adjacent neurons.
4. The chemical secreted into the gap between neurons at a synapse.
5. A rapid automatic response to a stimulus - without involvement of the brain.
6. The covering of fatty material that speeds up the passage of nerve impulses by insulating the axon.
7. The structure at the end of an axon that produces and releases neurotransmitters to transmit the nerve impulse across the synapse.
8. The high speed signals that pass along the axons of nerve cells.
9. The branching filaments that conduct nerve impulses towards the cell.
10. On an organ or another nerve cell which receives the sense organ or cells that receive stimuli from within and outside the body.
11. The reaction to a stimulus by a muscle or gland.
12. The part of the nerve cell containing the nucleus.
4. The diagram below shows a pin poking the skin and a cross-section of the spinal cord. Add the following labels to the diagram using Paint, then paste it back here.
Muscle; Sensory neuron; Relay neuron; Motor neuron; Pain receptors in skin; PNS neurons; CNS neuron
Image:Spinal nervous pathway unlabelled.JPG
5. List in order the 3 different neurons from question #4 involved in a reflex arc which does not from the stimulus to the response.
6. The diagram below shows the nervous system of a horse. Add the following labels.
Brain; Spinal cord; Cranial nerves; Thoracic spinal nerves; Lumbar spinal nerves; Sacral spinal nerves.
Image:Horse nervous system unlabelled.JPG
7. Indicate whether the following parts of the nervous system are part of the
Central Nervous System CNS)
Peripheral Nervous System (PNS).
Part of nervous system
CNS or PNS?
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"